Sunday, March 1, 2009

...and the ox marches on

After solving the studio power puzzle the carpenter ants came. Just as the honeycomb (my 'studio') was powered up again, the weather warmed up and out came my over wintering guests - carpenter ants. Not one or two, not even a hundred - thousands of carpenter ants. For those of you who have never seen a carpenter ant, they are much larger than most ants and winged. Thank goodness they use the wings primarily to curb inbreeding and not for mainstream transportation.

Once the lights came on in the honeycomb I saw the full capacity of the ant invasion. My dear friends and neighbors in Austin own a pest control company (http://www.beatingbugsbetter.com/) and for as much as I hate using 'chemical' solutions, even I knew it was time to call in a pro. I couldn't even see the paint on the walls. All I saw was swarming black & red winged ants. Big ones. Now, I'm not very squeemish but yuck.

Anywho, the pest control guy here in Dallas (great guy, Mc. Daniels Pest Control) has taken care of the invasion and I am ready to print my ox Monday morning. Here is the block in various stages of carving:

No comments:

Post a Comment